Deerfield Reunion – October 5-6, 2018
A reunion of the Nims Family Association (NFA) will take place in Deerfield, Massachusetts, October 5-6, 2018, at the Deerfield Community Center, formerly the White Church, where many past reunions have been held. The Board meeting, which is open to NFA members, will occur on Friday afternoon, October 5. The Association meeting will be held on Saturday, October 6. Meeting times will be announced in the spring newsletter.
We will have buffet-style dinners Friday and Saturday evenings: Friday at Champney’s at the Deerfield Inn; and Saturday at the Whately Inn. There will be a mail-in form in the spring newsletter to return your reservation and payment. See the registration form for meal pricing.
Deerfield is a very busy place in the fall, what with leaf peeping season and the reunion occurring on Columbus Day weekend, so you are encouraged to secure lodging as soon as possible. Following is a list of area lodging assembled by Historic Deerfield within a short driving distance of Deerfield. Lodging is presented in three categories; room prices are not listed because the lodgings may offer discounts from their standard published rates.
Every listed lodging has a website so you can compare locations, amenities and prices. It is preferable to directly contact the lodging instead of using a listing service such as Hotels.com or similar because lodgings may limit the number of rooms available through the listing services, particularly on a holiday weekend.
Reunion 2018 Program
Program development is proceeding well with the following items confirmed:
- Start time – 9:30 am Saturday, October 6, Deerfield Community Center
- NFA member Rob Brun del Re, presenting a significant update on Finding Godfrey
- Dr. Kevin Sweeney, professor of American studies and history at Amherst College, presenting from his research and books on the 1704 Deerfield raid and the captive stories that emerged from the event
- Lunch on your own – restaurant list will be provided
- Claire Carlson, Historic Deerfield archaeologist, presenting an overview of Deerfield archaeology projects
- Walking tour of important Nims sites in Deerfield and self-guided driving tour of nearby points of interest
Additional things to do on reunion weekend: Historic Deerfield Homes
- The Flynt Center of Early New England Life
- Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Hall Museum
- Annual Historic Deerfield Antiques Show